Saturday, May 9, 2009

A skeleton in my closet


Back in grade school, Baywatch and 90210 aired on Friday nights and come Monday, we'd be chatting about the latest episodes at school. If we'd had a water cooler, we'd have talked about those programs while standing around it.

The height of Baywatch and 90210 fever coincided with the period when power outages frequently occurred in the Philippines and I remember how we'd sit on the trunk lid of the old Chevrolet Vega (try doing that on a Toyota) during a Friday night blackout and how I'd fervently hope that the lights would come back on before my shows started --- or at the very least before they ended --- so that I wouldn't be out of the loop on Monday.

I also remember a Friday evening when I read --- or tried to read --- Pilgrim's Progress only to fall asleep. I cried when I woke up much later and discovered that I'd slept through the programs. This was long before the internet and series DVDs, when missing the airing of an episode meant that you would probably never get to watch it. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever bothered to finish reading Pilgrim's Progress, which I was incidentally only reading because of Little Women.

I think Shauni and Eddie were probably the first television couple I ever rooted for --- not counting animated ones. Just to be clear, we're talking about pre-Pamela-Anderson Baywatch here --- oh, the horror!

If you're wondering whether I bought the DVD, I didn't. Although come to think of it, maybe I should have. Just for old times' sake.

[Photo taken at 1629.]

No comments:

Post a Comment